Apple’s Carbon Footprint Sees Huge Increase 8th March, 2012 Thomas Ridgley
One of the biggest companies in the world, Apple, has this week published an overview of its own carbon footprint for the last year.
The computer giants have broken down how factors like the manufacturing of products, the transportation of products, the use of products, recycling and also the company’s facilities have influenced Apple’s impact on the environment as a whole.
Apple has estimated that they were responsible for 23.1 million metric tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions in the last year 2011. They also say 98% of the emissions are directly related to the life cycle of all of their products. That leaves just a staggering 2% left which they also claim the company’s facilities are responsible for; a somewhat small amount to say the least.
In comparison to the company’s emissions in 2010 equated to 14.8 million metric tonnes of greenhouse gases.
Apple has also announced that their products also have reduced carbon emissions over their earlier models. For example, the iMac’s carbon emissions have been reduced 50% over the original model which was released way back when in 1998. Also at the top of the list, the Apple TV is now responsible for 90% less carbon emissions than its predecessor which was originally released back in 2007.
Even the iPad 2 has lower emissions than its earlier model, the iPad 1 by 5% and with the new iPad set to be announced tomorrow by Apple, it will be interesting to see how much that model’s carbon emissions have been reduced.
If you would like a carbon footprint audit carried out for your business to see where you could be doing more to lower your emissions, you should get in touch with Apollo Enviro and see what they have to offer you.